Here is a list of blogs and books I read:
- Highly Allochthonous – Geology geology geology. Follow them on twitter @highlyanne and @Allochthonous
- Agile Geoscience – Geophysics, visualization, programming, and industry. Also follow them on twitter @kwinkunks and @EvanBianco
- MyCarta – Data visualization, color, and geoscience. Follow on twiiter @My_Carta
- Ron Schott’s Geology Home Companion – Explore the world through Gigapans. Follow Ron on twitter @rschott
- The Way of the Geophysicist – Geoscience community and geophysics. Follow on twitter @JesperDramsch
- Accretionary Wedge – Geology community content
- NASA Earth Observatory Blog – Images of our world. Follow on twitter @NASA_EO
- The Trembling Earth – Earthquakes, paleoseismology, active faults. Follow Austin on twitter @TTremblingEarth
- Hypo-theses – Seismology. Follow on twitter @hypocentre
- Calculated Images – Image analysis and manipulation. Follow on twitter @Zephyris
- Mountain Beltway – Geology and folds. Follow Callan on twitter @callanentley
- Magma Cum Laude – Volcanology. Follow on twitter @Tuff_Cookie
- Rock Head Science – Industry. Follow on twitter @rockheadscience
- Thousand Faces of Geology – Geology and creating. Follow on twitter @gravelbar
- Eruptions Blog – Volcanoes! Follow on twitter @eruptionsblog
- Point Source – Geoscience and communication. Follow on twitter @cbdawson
- Rock and Ice – Climbing.
- Metal Sucks – Heavy Metal news.
- Metal Insider – Heavy Metal industry news.
- Planet Money – Talking greater economies.
- Freakonomics – Talking weird economies.
- Tim Ferriss Show – Creativity and productivity.
- Hardcore History – Stories from history.
- American Alpine Club – Climbing community.
- Mountain Project – Find your climbing project and a partner.
- Freedom – Internet distraction blocker. Get it if you’re a grad student.
- 52 Things You Should Know About Geology – Short essays from the geoscience community.
- 52 Things You Should Know About Geophysics – Short essays from the geoscience community.
- The Prize by Daniel Yergin – History of the oil industry.
- Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon – Thoughts on creativity.
- The Sheltering Desert by Henno Martin – Two German geologists hide from the British in the Namib Desert during WWII.
- The Visual Display of Quantitative Information by Edward R. Tufte – Data and graphical design.
- Camera and Lens: The Creative Approach by Ansel Adams – Thinking Photography
- Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty – Greatest love story ever told. Also one of the best movies ever.
- Northlanders by Brian Wood. Viking stories.
- Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer – Disaster on Everest.